Saturday, February 23, 2008

Moving forward...


I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has been so loving and supportive as we faced our latest hurdle. With the benefit of week the diagnosis seems less dire and I am certain that we are already doing the right things for Mitch regarding his speech. Our latest playgroup at the Hospital was an interesting affair because it seemed obvious to me that our case had been discussed. Everyone was very careful with what they said - but the good news is that we will be having team meeting with the therapists, the paed, the kindy and ourselves to discuss the plans for Mitch & Harry. This seems a good way to make sure we are moving towards a common goal. I will reserve my judgement on the speech therapist until after this meeting...but I can say that in the cold, hard light of day it is apparent to me that she doesn't know how determined we are as a family to ensure our boys get optimal treatment.

A dear friend of mine reminded me today about how I have somehow lost myself over the past four years - and I am sure this happens to most parents. However her words did have a ring of truth to them - so I am going to try my best to let all of this therapy talk slide until the next meeting and focus on just being me and having fun with the boys. The beautiful thing is that both boys appear to have no clue about my inner turmoil and are loving life! Although if Harry gives me too much more backchat his life may be shorter than he can imagine (grin).


Speaking of Harry I thought you may like this layout. It just captures his Joie de vivre - his love of life! Down at the beach and loving splashing about in the shallows. Notice he is wearing his lifejacket - which he insists on wearing even in ankle deep water (grin). He is definitely his mother's child - obsessed with the detail. He checks before we go anywhere what we are doing, who we will be seeing and what snacks I have packed... as I said he is a mini-me through and through.

Anyway that's it from me for tonight.
Thank you again to everyone who has emailed, phoned or spoken to me in person. You have no idea how much it has meant to me.

Hugs,
Lisa

2 comments:

Jodi Devine said...

I feel a bit guilty because I haven't been keeping in touc - BUT I THINK OF YOU AND YOUR BOYS OFTEN!

I have had many dramas with Thomas and speech too - and I really feel for you.... sometimes I think therapists fail to realise we are not ordinary mums. I mean that we think about our children and their development EVERY second of the day. It is truly exhausting.

Tom started day care last week. Just two days a week. I couldn't believe the change over night in terms of his talking and eating.

He is also due for a language assessment early in March (for the Shepherd Centre - Hearing). I am DREADING it.... but then again, I guess it may be just another dip in that stupid roller-coaster I DID NOT CHOOSE TO GO ON in the first place. Whaterver, I will TRY and deal with it.

I see so many kids at school that weren't premmie, nor have they had any of the intervention we seek for our children.

You are a brilliant mum - in good times and bad. Remember that!!!!!!!!!

BIG HUGS,
Jodi and Tom
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Lisa - Mum to Mitch,Harry and Jack said...

Dear Jodi,
No need to feel guilty - life is just busy. The boys still talk about Tom and playing in the water. I would love to keep in touch a bit more foetn.

Hugs,
Lisa